Tips on Recovery from Extensive Exercise
Recovery actually is the most important part of training. Train hard but recover smart.
A few tips:
- Research has found that stretching after competition has no effect on recovery for most of us but stretching as a regular part of training reduces injury. So incorporate stretching into your training but do not stretch after a race.
- Ice baths have been used in professional sports but have not shown any benefit. Warm and cold immersions are the better option. Active recovery however has an important role.
- Replace some of the rest time with light exercise. Gentle warm down is the motto. Avoid increasing your heart to more than 20% of your resting heart rate. You are not racing anymore.
- Compression clothing is very helpful for recovery. So put these on after training. Here are the benefits: decreased swelling during recovery and reduced soreness.
- Nutrition: eat protein early after the competition and replace your carbohydrates. Lean meat, chicken, fish or a protein drink will do.
- And finally, just enjoy your achievement.
Article provided by Professor Dr. Erik Hohmann from Burjeel Hospital