Sujith Varghese: an Amalgamation of the Mind and Body
While most of us choose to make fitness a part of our wellbeing, mental fitness is the first step to take. It is just as important as physical fitness and of prime significance.
Mental fitness is a state of psychological welfare with a positive sense of how we think, act and feel that contributes to a happier life.
In our mundane lives, there’s so much more that grabs our focus than what is required of us. This comes to us in new forms like goals set to achieve, targets pressed for time, or social strata that demands the better of us. This is a good thing. However, along with it comes a fair share of pressure and strain that may affect us. This results in an uninterrupted impact to the mind. Is there anything that can be done about it? Maybe not, but the magnificence of it is that the mind – which is easily susceptible to the thoughts that wrap around it – is completely in your control. And there is so much more that lies at your disposal, which you can get your mind to do.
A few tips to strengthen the mind’s being:
- Gratitude – This one’s big! Track down all the things that you are thankful for, and you will then see the mind reciprocate with goodness.
- Sometimes, all it takes is a pause – Do you know we all have a self-switch that is completely under our control? While running the incessant race of life, all it takes is to pause and enjoy the journey rather than focusing on the finish line.
- Let go – As easy as it sounds, it is anything but easy. To forgive is to let go. We get wronged in many ways and we do the same to others. This leaves us hurting. When hurt, grudges build-up that affect mental wellbeing and, in the long run, hit the physical wellbeing, too. The expectation we construct is the basis of the disappointment. Not worthy!
- Be the master planner of your life – It is important to plan the design of your life. If you don’t, you might end up in someone else’s. And guess what they have planned for you – nothing much or nothing at all.
- Surround yourself with good people that matter – It is a proven fact that people with healthier family assembly and a social network lead a happier life, and there are considerable learnings that come out of these associations.
- Put yourself first – Because it is the most important. We give in to the needs of others, often leaving behind a valuable aspect of our own selves. In order to spread the love and happiness around, it is important to love and value yourself first. This stands above all the rest.
Now, let me throw some light on the element of physical fitness, an attribute most of us pursue on grounds of aspiration or health. Mental fitness and physical fitness go hand-in-hand. There are goals we set, and while some make the attempt to begin and progress from there, for others, procrastination renders it just a thought.
For any goal, it is the mind that sets the first target and makes the vision of the goal easier to action. A healthy outside starts from the inside. Good things in life don’t come easy, and the same stands for our goals for physical fitness. It demands discipline, commitment and passion. In our world today, getting trained is easily accessible, from online education platforms to fitness organisations. These come with a cost of time and money. The learnings will be imparted to you, but the actual outcome appears when you act on it.
Another important aspect is our eating habits. Being pressed for time, we often settle for food on grounds of sustenance to hunger. Not many of us take time out to understand the nourishment our body requires, which differs from one person to another. Well, this is the most important factor and can be taken care of with a weekly schedule for breakfast until lunch. This well-meant activity is an investment in your health that will come at the cost of a few minutes spent one day for the entire week.
Tip : 10:10:10
I follow this and it works – 10 minutes of thought on your meals to cover 10 minutes of its distribution throughout the day/week and 10 minutes to put it onto paper.
Time invested in yourself is the best investment you can make.
Now, I ask of you to pause where you are. Take a moment and look back at the goals you have sketched out for yourself, be it fitness, health, career or a hobby. Have you begun to act on them or are they just thoughts held in the mind? If you haven’t, the time is now. Wait for no one or nothing. Start where you are. Make that beginning and make it now!
The effort you put into every step of your journey, matters to the end goal!