SMOKY CHARGRILLED LEMON TEA
- 16 lemons
- 50g fine icing sugar
- 1.2ltr bottled drinking water
- 1.45g caster sugar
- 125ml maple syrup
- 1g fresh thyme
- 2 pure green tea bags
- Build a medium-hot fire in a charcoal grill, or heat a gas grill to high.
- Dip the lemon halves, cut side down, into a bowl of the icing sugar.
- Place on the grill, cut side down, and leave for 10-15 minutes or until the lemons take on a golden colour.
- In a medium-sized pot, combine 500ml of the water with the extra-fine caster sugar, maple syrup and 2 fresh thyme sprigs.
- Place on the grill or over a medium heat and whisk until the sugar has completely dissolved. Add the two tea bags and steep for five minutes. Take off the heat and remove the thyme sprigs.
- Place a sieve or strainer over a large bowl and squeeze out the juice from the charred lemons.
- Stir in the honey and thyme syrup and add the rest of the water. Leave to cool completely.
- Divide the syrup between six glasses, top with the crushed ice, soda, lemon slices and thyme sprigs.
- To serve: crushed ice, soda or sparkling water and 2 sliced lemons.
Recipe from Spinneys